STOP The Drama... END The Hate... STOMP Out Bullying
A National Anti-Bullying And Cyber Bullying Organization For Kids And Teens
Effects of Bullying
Some people say that kids who are bullied need to toughen up ... that's not true. It would happen no matter how thick-skinned kids are.
Some people think that bullying is "just a fact of life" or "a right of passage" and they don't take it seriously ... until someone they know is hurt by bullying.
- 1 out of 4 kids is bullied
- Depending on the age group, up to 40% of students say they have been digitally harassed
- 9 out of 10 LGBT students experienced harassment at school
- Child and teen Bullying and Cyberbullying are at an all-time high
- Some kids are so tormented that suicide has become an alternative for them
- It can mess up a kid's future. Bullies are more likely to skip school, drop out of school, smoke, drink alcohol, get into fights and be arrested at some point in their life. 60% of boys who were bullies in middle school had at least one criminal conviction by the age of 24.
- 8% of students miss at least 1 day of class per month for fear of Bullies
- Decreased academic achievement—GPA and standardized test scores—and school participation. They are more likely to miss, skip, or drop out of school.
- A very small number of bullied children might retaliate through extremely violent measures. In 12 of 15 school shooting cases in the 1990s, the shooters had a history of being bullied.
Victims of bullying can experience:
- Can be afraid to go to school
- Can be afraid to ride the bus
- Can be afraid to use the school bathroom
- Can be afraid of being alone in the school hallway
The fear and anxiety caused by being a bullying victim can make it difficult to focus at school.
Bullying can cause victims to experience:
- Low self-esteem
- Physical illness
- Suicidal thoughts.
Some kids are so tormented by their bullies that they actually choose suicide as alternative to their pain ... which should NEVER be an option. Kids need to know that NOTHING is bad enough to take their own life.
© STOMP Out Bullying™ 2007 - 2012
A Love Our Children USA Program ©1999 - 2011 www.loveourchildrenusa.org
Permission to reproduce any information or images contained on this site
must be requested in writing, submitted to the attention of
Love Our Children USA Media Relations